A Gummy Smile Can Be Fixed
Your gummy smile doesn’t have to be the demise of your social life. Now, with periodontal treatment, you can enjoy the smile you’ve always wanted. With the use of one of five procedures, your gummy smile can be fixed so that you’ll have a more natural, broad smile. In a matter of minimal time these dental procedures will have you smiling with confidence.
What is a Gummy Smile?
Now that you’ve heard the term “gummy smile” you probably have a good idea of what the term means. You probably even know you have it. As you may suspect, a gummy smile is when you have excessive gum tissue covering your teeth, giving you the appearance of shorter teeth and large gums. It can also be seen when your upper lip rises too high, showing off the entirety of your teeth.
5 Causes of a Gummy Smile
There are five causes of a gummy smile, all of which can be resolved by a periodontist. Depending on the cause, there are also five different procedures to use to fix the problem.
- Abnormal eruption of your teeth.
- The muscle of your upper lip is overactive, causing it to move higher than normal.
- How your jaw grew and developed, often protruding.
- Due to developmental or genetic factors, an altered passive eruption (APE) of teeth.
- Hyperplastic growth of the maxillary skeletal base.